Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Contemplating the nature of our existence.

As an ex-Christian and now agnostic atheist, I ponder our existence a lot more than I did as a Christian. Our world is not so easily explained by a magical being as our ultimate source of origin. At the same time the the world becomes more mysterious as it paradoxically makes more sense.

The sense of wonder comes from the idea that everything came about naturally has a depressing but liberating nature to it. Depressing in the sense that nothing really matters in your life and liberating in the sense that, again, nothing really matters.

I have certain opinions on right and wrong but they are not an absolute nor are they based on anything absolute. Moral behavior is fully explainable with evolutionary theory. The moral continuity and diversity we see throughout the world makes a lot more sense when considered in light of evolution.

What I have found most relieving about the idea that there is no God is that I don't fear death. It seems more natural. Of course I'm afraid of the pain I might have to endure upon my death, but not the state of being dead. Simply because I won't know the difference. It won't matter that I'm dead because I won't know. That is a very emotionally freeing part of becoming an atheist.

The best part about being and atheist is being able to see the world for what it really is. Instead of through a lense of mythologies and superstition. Events that happened where the only explanation for "why" it happened was "it was gods will" or "god works in mysterious ways" have REAL natural explanations and they are sufficient in themselves.

Life becomes so much more simple when you let go of God. I have been told all my life that if I just "let go and let God" everything will just fall into place. This only appears to be true because after that, everything is God's will and was meant to happen that way. So of course everything appears to fall into place even if it's not in our favor, because we then just say "we can't understand the ways of God." When all that is stripped away and you look at the occurrence of events as cause, effect, randomness and chance. The seemingly mysterious ways of "God will" disappear and become ludicrous as an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment